Getting Started Issue

Hi, I’ve been trying to work through the wiki tutorials to get writing my own code but I’m having some trouble. This is my first attempt with anything trickier than an Arduino.

I have the nRF52840-MDK and I’m using 64bit windows 7.

I’m stuck at the https://wiki.makerdiary.com/nrf52840-mdk/nrf5-sdk/ section where you need to “make flash” the blinky program. I get an error telling me to configure the Makefie.windows file to suit my system, can anyone advise on the correct path?

C:\Users\Oisin\Documents\NRF Files\nrf52840-mdk-master\examples\nrf5-sdk\blinky\

armgcc>make flash
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, “C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU Tools Arm Embedde
d\6 2017-q2-update\binarm-none-eabi-gcc” --version, …) failed.
make: …/…/…/…/nrf_sdks/nRF5_SDK_15.0.0_a53641a/components/toolchain/gcc/Make
file.common:129: pipe: No error
Cannot find: ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU Tools Arm Embedded\6 2017-q2-update\bin
arm-none-eabi-gcc’.
Please set values in: “C:/Users/Oisin/Documents/NRF Files/nrf52840-mdk-master/nr
f_sdks/nRF5_SDK_15.0.0_a53641a/components/toolchain/gcc/Makefile.windows”
according to the actual configuration of your system.
…/…/…/…/nrf_sdks/nRF5_SDK_15.0.0_a53641a/components/toolchain/gcc/Makefile.c
ommon:129: *** Cannot continue. Stop.

Hi there,
First, pls make sure you have installed the GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain: 6-2017-q2-update. According to your system, you can download here directly: gcc-arm-none-eabi-6-2017-q2-update-win32-sha2.exe.

Then configure the toolchain path in C:/Users/Oisin/Documents/NRF Files/nrf52840-mdk-master/nr f_sdks/nRF5_SDK_15.0.0_a53641a/components/toolchain/gcc/Makefile.windows with the following settings:

GNU_INSTALL_ROOT := C:/Program Files (x86)/GNU Tools ARM Embedded/6 2017-q2-update/bin/
GNU_VERSION := 6.3.1
GNU_PREFIX := arm-none-eabi

BTW, make sure that make tool works well. Just follow the step to install MSYS2 and the tools: https://wiki.makerdiary.com/nrf52840-mdk/nrf5-sdk/#installing-gnu-make

Now you can try to compile the blinky example again in MSYS2 bash. Everything should work as expected.
Pls let me know if you have any concerns.

Zelin

Thanks, that worked for me. I reinstalled the GNU toolchain and set the paths as you had suggested. Maybe I donwloaded the wrong GNU toolchain the first time.

Good job. :+1: